Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Video replay in games

With halo3 released and on of its main features being the recording and replay of users games I want to know people feelings towards this. There is no doubt about it everybodys game experience is different when they play the same game. Sharing the bizarre, amazing and funny moments during a players game can be great fun. Not only that but having videos of certain functions in action developers can more readily fix bugs and glitches rather than trying to find out what the problem is.

I feel that developing a system to record worldly data and use it to reconstruct all of my users game experiences could be of great value not only for me but for other computer games as well. If I made the system open enough and flexible enough it could be adopted as a common way of handling video replay. Feel free to contribute your views on this as I will take your input into consideration.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep in mind that replays, often called demos, have been in a range of games since Quake.

Izak Flash Man said...

I think its really been incorporated into halo 3 (for at least one aspect) is the whole red Vs blue thing. The makers realized that some people actually wanna make little movies and stuff. Same happened with sims 2.
This not only gives the game more longetivity to people who buy the game but also is a good way of exposure for the halo people. (Free advertising on youtube I guess.)

Thats my two cents.